Circular economy applied to water management
Edison NEXT’s phytopurification technology is ecological, efficient and keen on technology and sustainability: pollutants present in wastewater are extracted without using any additional energy, thus turning wastewater into an effluent that can be used again as an input.
The customer: automotive sector
Developed for an automotive factory in northern Italy, this project uniqueness consists in phytopurification application technology to the mechanical engineering industry, typically characterized by wastewater with very low organic content.
Edison NEXT’s solution
Together with the customer, we studied a project that would enable them to reduce discharge to surface water and, as a result, input of primary water to the factoryand in a completely natural way. The solution is phytopurification, a technology that purifies wastewater in a waterproof basin in which the combined action of vegetation and a gravel substrate cleans the water.
First lift tank
Collects wastewater to be pumped to feed the phytopurification system.
In which four plant species were planted, compatible with the local ecosystem (Barragge Nature Reserve) where the plant is located.
Second lift tank
Sends the phytopurified water to the final purification phase (sand filters and chlorination).
Final storage tank with recovery release
Of the treated water in this tank, 60% is returned to the factory as technological water input and the remaining 40% is discharged to surface water.
Discover how Edison NEXT can lead you through your decarbonisation and ecological transition journey.